About the Office of the Ombuds
In Fall 2021, the Ombuds Office relaunched to serve as...
A confidential, informal, impartial, and independent resource for effective communication, collaboration, and conflict management.
All levels of UA employees and students, in all UA units and colleges, as well as others who have a university-related concern.
The growth of our campus community which includes expanded Human Resources support, an established institutional Diversity & Inclusion Office, enhanced support of Faculty, and restructuring of the Office of Equity & Inclusion allowed us to reimagine Ombuds support to match institutional growth. Ombuds services are integral to our institutional values of integrity and inclusion which support our supportive, fulfilling work environment. The Ombuds Committee consists of trained campus community members focused on enhancing the work environment in which we all thrive. The Ombuds Committee consists of a diverse array of campus professionals such as faculty and staff that provide resources and informal problem-solving solutions.
The new Ombuds structure consists of an Ombuds Advisory Council which supports the presidential-appointed Ombuds Committee Chair, the President in selecting an Ombuds Chair, and the Ombuds Committee on issues including confidentiality and resources. The President appoints the Ombuds Chair who will oversee the Ombuds Committee. The Ombuds Committee will provide informal, fair, and impartial conflict resolution support to the University campus.
With a wide variety of issues, concerns, questions, conflicts, and challenges.
- Teams/units wanting to work together most effectively or harmoniously
- Difficulties with co-workers, supervisors, and employees
- Challenges with professors, advisors, and students
- Issues with team members or coaches
- Clashes of style – including communication, conflict, personality, work and leadership styles
- Departmental/workplace climate and culture
- Concerns related to equity, fairness, and respect
- Concerns about career progression
- Concerns about supervisor or employee effectiveness
- Intra and inter-departmental issues
- Systemic and long-standing issues
- Identifying and connecting with appropriate resources and channels for assistance
- Clarification of university policies and procedures
- And more
We Work on Many Levels
From one-on-one to small and large groups, from individual to departmental, organizational, and systemic level concerns/issues.
Conflict and Other Challenges Impact the UA Community
Related to their concern/situation, Ombuds Office visitors report experiencing high levels of stress/anxiety, damage to or loss of important professional and/or personal relationships, low/decreased morale, sleep loss, difficulty focusing on work/school, detrimental impacts to physical and/or mental health, reputational impact/damage, and more.
Are you unsure of how to handle a complex, tense, or unideal situation with a colleague/employee/supervisor, or with your entire team or department? Are you interested in responding to a situation in the most effective way possible? Do you have a situation that has gotten out of hand? We invite you to contact us to help you move forward in a responsive and positive manner, no matter how small, large, or messy your situation may be. If it isn’t something we can assist you with directly we can connect you to other helpful resources.